Monday, November 6, 2017

Reviewing The Space Between Words by Michèle Phoenix

I mentioned in a previous  blog post that I have an amazing book store in my home town of Monument, Colorado, Covered Treasures. In this amazing book store is an entire shelf dedicated to Advanced Reader Copies, ARCs. For a small donation to their charity, you can take home one of their many ARCs to read. Sitting on this shelf was The Space Between Words by Michèle Phoenix, a book that was released September 5, 2017. I was so pleased I picked up this book. Based on the description, I wasn't sure if this was going to read like an emotionally heavy Jodi Picoult book or an overly faith driven fiction book (the kind where either everything is due to the intervention of God or something terrible happens to someone and in return they find God and share that story with everyone). Instead, this book seemed to perfectly balance everything. I really enjoyed reading this book and highly recommend it to everyone. A more specific book can be found below.

The Space Between WordsThe Space Between Words by Michèle Phoenix
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book takes on the seemingly impossible feat of having faith in a time of terror. The book begins with Jessica, an American girl trying to find her own way in life, regaining consciousness in a French hospital after the Paris terrorist attack at the Bataclan. She survived, and wants to run away from Paris, France and all of Europe as fast as she can, but her "platonically made for each other" best friend, Patrick, urges her not to leave and to follow-through with the treasure hunting trip they planned through southern France before heading back home to Denver.

The author, Michèle Phoenix, takes on the heaviness of the terror by stringing together words, each syllable a blow to the gut and the punctuation at the end of the sentence leaving your breathless. She flawlessly touches on all the facets of terror from the intentions of terror, to the sight of terror and the guilt of survival. With regards to the intentions of terror Phoenix has Patrick tell Jessica that: "The wanted you to feel so scared you'd never step foot outside again without looking over your shoulder and expecting more of the awful you've already been through." Jessica articulates the horrific sights and feelings of terror: "Death had burned its savagery into the fabric of my consciousness. I felt stained. Branded." Phoenix also has Jessica highlight the guilt of survival: "Little was said, but everything was spoken as the injustice and bliss of survival washed over me in jagged ways."

However, this story isn't a gruesome recounting of the events of the terror attack. This story is a relatively light, and entertaining read about discovering the history behind the faded documents Jessica found concealed in an antique sewing box. Through the treasure-hunt plot, the book tackles healing and how "...it's too easy to blame God for the stupidity of humans." In the end, it leaves the reader believing too that, as Grant said, "But if there is a God-the kind that weeps when the weak and powerless get hurt...that there's a force for good in this world....I want to believe that there's a force for good in this world and that that force won't let the bad have the final word. It doesn't explain or undo the darkness, but...I think somehow it covers it with light."

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reviewing The Canonical Order by T.R. Kurtz

I've been reading books, although, not at the rate I was in past years. Life is extremely busy for me, and I've been devoting my mor...