Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Reviewing I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

I Let You Go
A few months ago I read I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. I'm finally getting around to reviewing the book. No worries though, it's still fresh in my mind. I really enjoyed this thriller. I reached a certain point in the book that I had to pick it up and check the cover to make sure I hadn't inadvertently picked up a different book. It's just that good and the plot was just that unexpected to me. See my full review below.

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The novel begins with the story of an inexcusable, unforgiveable crime, a hit and run involving a young (very young) boy. Right then and there I almost put the book down. As a mother and ever since reading Jodi Piccoult's Nineteen Minutes it's hard for me to trust what might come next in a book that dares to take on such unspeakable atrocities. However, it was the raving reviews of the book that kept me reading. I felt like I needed to see and know what everyone else knew, and I was very thankful I kept reading. This book was nothing I expected after its opening. I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh is a book worth reading. Maybe even reading twice, because I know I had to have missed a clue or two at first.

As I mentioned already, the book begins with a hit and run accident involving a very young boy. The main character, Jenna Gray's only hope of getting over the incident is to move to another town. The character driven novel is told from the perspectives of Jenna Gray, detective Ray and then Ian.

At first, the alternating perspectives between Jenna and Ray lead the reader to believe and feel that this is very much a normal police procedural novel. However, the introduction of the voice of Ian made me wonder if I was reading the same book. It was no longer a police procedural but rather a psychological thriller that I couldn't put down.

I started to pick up on some of the clues in the book, but I couldn't imagine the way everything would unwind. This book is brilliantly written and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves a police procedurals and/or thrillers.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reviewing The Canonical Order by T.R. Kurtz

I've been reading books, although, not at the rate I was in past years. Life is extremely busy for me, and I've been devoting my mor...